EVO 9 VVC settings and coil dwell max

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

BBrooks
New User
EVO 9 VVC settings and coil dwell max

Post by BBrooks » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:34 pm

I'm currently working on putting a 12tooth crank driven sensor on my mitsubishi evolution 9 30-1320 aem/gems ecu with one cam sync. (I cut off the wide tooth on the exhaust cam making it 1 ) So far the car starts and runs but i'm not quite sure how to go about setting up the Mivec cam sensor for this application.

I would like to know what the settings would be used for the VVC#2 cam range and cam start or how i could go about calculating them. (the second cam sensor is unmodified so far)

Also any help calulating the dwell max for a 12tooth 4cylinder using coils 6-7 as wastespark. Currently the factory calibration is 4, i'm assuming since 4 is a complete cycle of the crank sensor i'd use 12?

Any help would be appreciated as this stuff is poorly documented in other forums.

Thanks

RichA
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: EVO 9 VVC settings and coil dwell max

Post by RichA » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:11 am

I assume you want to improve the spark accuracy with more teeth.
The evo tooth control table uses both edges of the signals, you must select just the most stable edges for crank and cam.

So instead of 2 teeth per rev you will have 12. So for most options scaled in teeth the function would be:

New value = (Old value * 6), for Spark_Teeth, Fuel_Teeth, Ignition_range, VVC_range, Wheel_Teeth

For crank relative options.

New value = (Old value * 6) + Offset; Offset is the difference in synchronising point of two systems.

This is required for Fueln_Tooth Ignn_Tooth, Camn_Start

Just to throw a spanner, I would recommend a 12+1 tooth pattern on crank, as this removes any lash problems on the cam synchronisation. This will allow the cam to move relative to the crank, especially useful if it is used for a vvc channel.
Be sure to leave at least 10 degree guard band from cam maximum and minimum and extra tooth.

With this arrangement, we must move to MxSync or Sync_MX = On, all other strategies Off. And Missing=-1 for extra or early reference teeth. Mx_Time = 50% for MissingeXtra discriminator and Mx_Sync_Test = 11 (number of crank teeth including 0 since last missing/extra tooth. Again the tooth Control table just defines 1 rev, so would be 12 "5"s (use tooth internally and check for sync) then a "4" (this is where the extra tooth is detected) and finally a "3" to signal a timing error if A_Tooth (actual teeth) reaches this number.

Now you can be clever like Honda, and have a cam wheel of 4+1 teeth and use the VVCn_mod feature to use the 4 evenly spaced teeth to give you 4 times the up date rate on cam position, with Sync_Teeth = 2 or 3.

Note names are typical, as we increased maximum name length and intelligent convert features to our user interface they can get more informative.

RichA