Fiesta st180 ecu

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

midas
New User
Fiesta st180 ecu

Post by midas » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi guys, has anyone fitted a GEMS to an st180 fiesta. If so which one has been used. Thank you.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Fiesta st180 ecu

Post by RickS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:33 pm

We have one i4 DI ECU model - the GDi80...
As far as I know, we have not calibrated one for an ST180, but I will check.

The 'Product Information' for the GDi80 is in the document attached....

Best regards, RickS
Attachments
GDi80.pdf
Product Info for the GDi80
(411.18KiB)Downloaded 818 times

midas
New User

Post by midas » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Thank you.

I keep searching and asking, but no one seems to be able to offer much info for the st180 and stand alone ecu's for them.

I would deffo be interested in any further information you can offer.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:42 pm

You're quite correct - There doesn't appear to be much info out there.
We did some 'ST' tuning back a few years ago (on a older legacy ECU) but that was for a 'Port Injection Tuned' engine rather than DI. We tend to find tuners prefer the flexibility with PI rather than DI for a competition engine, where economy is of lesser importance. All a matter of choice before anybody shouts..!!

I see that OC Motorsport and PumaSpeed have some interesting figures but these maybe remaps and ancillary mods. I haven't delved to deeply, so am uninformed in truth.

I'll continue to look and see if I can find anything but all I can tell you, is that we have an ECU that will handle a DI, inline 4 cyl, turbo engine with all of the toys (launch, TC, active throttle, knock control, wideband lambda, gear shift control, Boost/WG control, VVC, high speed data logging etc.) as you have probably seen but currently no development or base maps.

Best regards, RickS

midas
New User

Post by midas » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 pm

I talk regularly with Pumaspeed and currently have 330bhp and 348ftlb under my right foot. So no slouch in a car that weighs just over a tonne...lol.. I intend to start a small tuning garage close to where I live and as I am sure you are more aware them me. Info is quite limited on ecu's with the st180 and I am told who ever I ask that the st180 can not be live mapped. Unlike my old scooby. It may be tuners keeping info close to their chests so as not to give anything away. But I like to be different when I can. I guess it also has plenty to do with tuners selling flash maps that cost nothing to them, but we will have to pay to sell on. A very easy way for the originator to make a fortune from all their map copies.

I am looking to take the next stage in tuning to my st, but that is going to be expensive, as it will now need stripping and fully forging, liners, probably no head work at the minute apart from possibly a cam fueling mod. Or I may go bigger injectors, need to re search a bit more before making that choice. Either way I will not be aux fueling.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:31 pm

So, the upshot is that we, as I suspected, do not have any ST180 development on the cards for the foreseeable future.
The ECU should be perfectly capable of handling the motor but without exploring the Ford's basic calibration, I am not in a position to quantify what resource we would need to commit.

There are many basic attributes that we would need to consider, to see if we could adapt some Direct Injection calibrations that we already have (the closest currently are some competition i4's) but I will start searching for the details that we would need to get the ball rolling.

I believe that some of the ST range have both Direct and Port Injection... Does the '180' fall into that category..?
If it does, then we do not have one ECU that can perform Direct Injection AND Port Injection.

A 'scope trace of the crank and cam tooth patterns is always a good starting place, so we can see if we can get our simulators synchronised. Once we have that and the main relay/fuel pump active, we can start firing coils and injectors. The job then is to put these occurrences in the right place. Sounds simple but in practice, sometimes it isn't. I'm guessing 'active throttle'..? So pedal and throttle body would need to be acquired to get the scaling correct. The list grows..!

I have attached an engine spec sheet that we send out for new builds to give us and idea of what's ahead. If you would like to fill it in and return it to sales (at) gems.co.uk, we can at least register this request.

Best regards, RickS
Attachments
Engine & Sensors.xls
Timing and sensor information
(11KiB)Downloaded 739 times

midas
New User

Post by midas » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Thank you. I will fill this out over the weekend and send it back.

I think port injection is mainly due to not having larger injectors and some seem to like the fact you can have single or multipoint port injection. For me I would and will prefer bigger injectors, which are now available and probably have been all along but no one did any re search into them.

midas
New User

Post by midas » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Well, I have just had a look at the info required and I am not going to be able to supply that with any confidence of it being correct.

The people who have tuned my car sell flash maps so I do not think they will be willing to help. Which leaves me in a bit of a pickle,

markk
User

Post by markk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 pm

I potentially might have some Ecoboost work coming up for stand alone, nothing guaranteed yet but potential.
What I would say to 'Midas' if this is a route you are looking at then you will not find any better technical support that you will get from these guys at GEMS.
Response times and general queries from Rick and his colleagues are exceptional. I fancy a play with the GDi80 myself :)

Regards
Mark

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks for the comments Mark... Jus' tryin' - ya know..!!

It might appear that I'm being a little negative, regarding this thread. Maybe 'cautious' is a better word. I just would like to get all of the "ducks inline" before embarking on a new calibration platform. It saves nasty (read 'expensive') surprises later on.

Have a word with the sales guys. I'm sure that they'd love to sell you one (or two..!)

BR, RickS

midas
New User

Post by midas » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:43 pm

This is where I am at now.

Currently running a hybrid turbo. At 330bhp and 348ftlb but it does slowly drop off as the revs rise.

I am now looking to replace the hybrid with a big turbo and do some block, fuel mods to make sure the engine does not do one.

Then it is full forge and cast sleeves and maybe head reworked bigger valves ect. Money dependant on the head.

After forging the engine, monster clutch and diff.

This should see me at about 380bhp on pump fuel.

Now enter the ecu, so I can switch between pump fuel circa 380 and race fuel circa 440. These are this years plans, but not in a desperate hurry so long as at some point one will become available.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am

OK....
Will keep you in the loop as and when things develop.
Regards, RickS

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:35 am

During the pandemic, most of our hardware development work was reduced to tick-over and now, as we are all suffering from world-wide component shortages as suppliers start finding their feet again, development is still on the back foot.

Will leave this thread open and will update when things take an upturn.