Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer
Re: EVO X USB connection

Post by RickS » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi again Jerome,
The ECU that you have, has been modified and is running with an HKS version of the firmware installed. This is why it is asking for 00H44 rather than 00V44. The 00V44 is the general 'public release' version.

HKS protected their calibrations by using this unique .GIN file (a .GIN file is a kind of memory map that you need to access the calibration). In this way, only HKS personnel could alter the calibration installed. That ends the history lesson!

To remove the restriction that this ECU has, the firmware needs to be reverted back to standard. What we need to do, is find out whether the ECU that you have is running off 'flash' (chip soldered directly to the Printed Circuit Board), or off EPROM (a similar chip that is added to the PCB). To do this, you will have to open the ECU and send me a couple of detailed photographs on the circuit board, concentrating on the two large ICs on the opposite side of the board to the main connectors.

Please send them to tech(dot)support (at) GEMS.CO.UK an I will see what the best course of action should be. The worst case scenario is that the unit will have to come back to us to have it standardised but we may be able to do this remotely. Be aware that reverting the unit back to a GEMS unit will involve removing the HKS calibration that is currently installed but will be replaced with an almost identical version.

Apologies for the involved situation but this is a problem when ex-works cars and ECUs are made available. Unfortunately, HKS did not revert the ECU to standard before it was passed on.
Best regards,
RickS

Jérôme
User

Post by Jérôme » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:32 pm

I will ask the person who make the mapping, because I know who it is, to give me gin file and mapping
If he doesn't want I'll come back to you. I suppose that giving back ECU to you to remove HKS calibration
won't allow me to have the mapping inside.

Thanks for all informations

Jérôme

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 am

The calibration that will be installed when the unit leaves here after it is returned to 'standard' will not be the original HKS calibration but will be close enough that we doubt that you will notice the difference.

The removal of the HKS restrictions will allow the ECU to be mapped at your leisure, which was the reason that this post was raised in the first place, so hopefully, everyone will be happy..!

Best regards,
RickS