Virtual Pot Box Example

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

da40flyer
User
Virtual Pot Box Example

Post by da40flyer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:29 am

I am looking for info on how to use the Virtual Potbox. The info in the manual is very sparse. Can anyone provide a real world example of using it, how to use it step by step, while showing the benefits of using it? Thank you in advance.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Virtual Pot Box Example

Post by RickS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 am

The Virtual Potbox gives easy access to modifier parameters. To display the virtual potbox, select ECU | Virtual Potbox from the main menu. Modify parameters globally to adjust the output value of a map as this allows you to find an appropriate value before changing the base map.

For example, Fuel Mod will adjust the value obtained from the Fuel map. Once you find an appropriate fueling value, you can program the map at the current site. You can adjust the modifier by using the knob (drag up or down with the mouse). Or you can use the arrow buttons. The double arrow buttons make a large increment or decrement to the modifier.

To program the modifier into the map, click the Program button. This will apply the modifier and reset the modifier parameter to zero.

That is basically all there is to it but there is more comprehensive information under the 'Help' tab in GWv4 (search for 'Potbox'). If you do need more information, just let me know.

Best regards,
RickS

da40flyer
User

Post by da40flyer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:05 pm

RickS wrote:To program the modifier into the map, click the Program button. This will apply the modifier and reset the modifier parameter to zero.
Can I have it only make the change to specific cells (rather than the entire map) by highlighting those cells prior to hitting "Program", or by some other way?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm

If you highlight map sites, either by selecting or left clicking and dragging and then right clicking, you can lock and/or unlock the certain sites that you select.

Check out the 'help' menus as tailoring and setting map preferences is explained in there.

BR
RickS

da40flyer
User

Post by da40flyer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

I have read through all of the documentation... but it does not provide clear info on how it specifically works.
It just states "Once you find an appropriate fueling value, you can program the map at the current site". So my question is, how do you tell it what the current site is?

Example: I am on a load based dyno running at 2500 RPM setting A/F throughout the MAP range. I hold the throttle to obtain a reading in a specific cell, use the potbox to adjust Fuel Mod until I obtain the A/F that I want. When obtained, I hit the "program" button and it adjusts just the cell I am on at the time that I hit the "program" button? or it adjusts the entire map by that amount? or what?

I hope my question is clear.... Thanks.

da40flyer
User

Post by da40flyer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Or do you have an example other than what I posted above that better illustrates the best use of the PotBox?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 am

Apologies for the delay.....

Once an ECU is connected to GWv4, certain map sites can be selected or excluded (locked) from the action performed by the VP. In effect, they act as offsets for the Fuel,Spark etc. maps until the new value is 'Programmed' in.

As an example, if one is calibrating the ignition advance for an idle strategy, with the engine running and the ECU connected to GWv4, you would be monitoring the ignition map's '0' or bottom line at the required RPM. By selecting two adjacent maps (unless the velicle is idling exactly on a site), you can manipulate the values and therefore the advance/retard until the AFR reaches the required stoich value. Once happy, the values can be 'Programmed' or saved in the map. Fuel map would function the same.