EM36 0-5volt gear position input

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

mr_darcy
New User
EM36 0-5volt gear position input

Post by mr_darcy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Is there any way I can use a 0-5v input for GEAR instead of the EM36 calculating it through CRANK/VSS?
I already have a Penny and Giles Potentiometer on the selector barrel of a sequential gearbox.

Ideally I would use pin C10 and calibrate using the gear ratio table.
I would then have access to wastegate and ignition trim-by-gear, and can make a custom dash-mounted 7-position rotary switch to enable multiple modes, over-riding or triming this input voltage to suit the situation, whether it is rain with slicks, a qualifying hot lap, or a momentary over-boost push-to-pass.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Paul.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: EM36 0-5volt gear position input

Post by RickS » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Paul,
I will be able to confirm exactly if you let me know the version of EM36 that you are running.

If it is v1.28, then the GEAR DETERMINATION is usually calculated from Engine Speed and Road Speed if Gear Input Source = Not Used or blank. However, any parameter may be selected but typically this input would be from a potentiometer measuring gear position.

The Gear Ratio table is searched to see if the ratio is between the specified limits for the gear starting with the low bound limit for Gear = 0, then the upper bound limit for Gear = 0, and so on up to the maximum gear ratio for Gear = 7. Thus Gear is calculated if Gear Control = ‘On’.

HTH,
RickS

mr_darcy
New User

Post by mr_darcy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Many thanks for the quick reply!

Excellent, I'll download the latest firmware!

Paul

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 am

Details should be in the EM36 manual. If you can't download a copy let me know via the tech (dot) support (at) gems.co.uk email address and I'll send you a copy.

BR
RickS