Google maps/Map overlay

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

neoraptor
New User
Google maps/Map overlay

Post by neoraptor » Wed May 22, 2013 7:57 am

Is it possible to overlay track map to the racing line?
I would like to have something like this :

It could be a simple image that is used as a background (so it also could be used without internet connection).
Is such a feature planned?

Best regards,
Jonathan N.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Google maps/Map overlay

Post by RickS » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 am

Hi Jonathan,
I am assuming that you mean that you want to show the 'racing line' in your logged data.

All that is needed is for the logged latitude and longitude channels to be assigned and GPS track mapping to be enabled. The channels are interpreted as Radians, by default, so if your channels are not in these units, you should specify the units.

To get a decent GPS track map, you may need to do some additional preparation to your raw GPS data to account for loss of fix and other transient glitches which can otherwise lead to wildly incorrect maps that suggest that your vehicle may have violated the laws of physics.

To view the map in an external program (e.g. Google Earth), use the "Export KML" button to store it in a file, using the Keyhole Markup Language (KML) format. This will show how accurate your GPS figures are as I have seen Rockingham plotted in the Mid-Atlantic..!

Using this technique, I have also seen some pretty accurate traces on some of our British tracks. This information and more is covered in the Help section of the GDA software that can be downloaded from our website.

Colouring the trace to show accel/decel would be nice but not available at the moment. I'll pass it on though.

Hope that this helps,
RickS

neoraptor
New User

Post by neoraptor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 pm

But is it possible to have both the racing line and the (real) track layout displayed?
As I understand, if I create a Track in GDA, it is only to view the segments in the circuit, but not the real layout.

Also, is it possible to save a GPS lap beacon in the track definition?
I have data without lap beacon (only GPS data). If I import them and then load the track, segments are displayed on the first lap, but the GPS lap beacon is not inserted.
Hence, I do not have laps generated and need to place the GPS Lap Beacon manually.
It is fine for one set of data, but if I have more than one set, how to have allways the same GPS Lap Beacon?

Thank you for your help,
Jonathan

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Currently, this is not possible directly in GDA. I have submitted a feature request for this to be added.

As Rick explained however, you can export your GPS from GDA to Google earth/maps, which gives you a way to overlay your GPS data on a picture of the map.

In regards the GPS lap beacon, you are correct the GPS lap beacon is not saved with the track. At the moment it just a tool to generate markers. Again I have raised this issue and we are working on improving this so it is saved, also so you can add splits, view them on the track and edit them.

Please bear with us, we are constantly working on our software on feedback like yours!

In the mean time, I would recommend subscribe to the following topic, so you will receive updates when GDA is updated.
http://www.gems.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=375

Regards

Rico