Lotus Elise 160 Sport ECU

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

High_Po_Metro
New User
Lotus Elise 160 Sport ECU

Post by High_Po_Metro » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:15 pm

I have just aquired a Lotus Elise Sport 160 and the ECU is a GEMS Item, I cant find a model number on it that tallies up with any on the website.

First question is, is this a full spec GEMS ECU or is it custom built for its one purpose? And second question is, are there any features of the ECU I can connect up that Lotus didnt (Like shift lights or the wheel speed sensor mentioned in the EM20, Rover K series manual)?

I am located to far from the Egham address on the ECU so if I need to bring it in I can do.

RichA
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Lotus Elise 160 Sport ECU

Post by RichA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:25 pm

If the serial number plate has a P in its name then it will be a read only ECU, since it was a production item.
They can be made re-programmable, but it is a relatively expensive process. And additionally there is the cost of the user interface GWv3.
If you are pleased with the engine performance then I would leave alone. Any feedback would be useful.

Rich A

High_Po_Metro
New User

Post by High_Po_Metro » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:13 pm

I have yet to try the engine (its in bits) but I got the ECU very cheaply so I would be interested in the cost of the service/upgrade. Can the map thats on the EPROM be loaded after the upgrade to save me the initial cost of mapping? Are there any Rolling Roads that have the software or is it always a case of owner supplies?

Also there is a small 3 pin plug on the front of the ECU, is there anything I can do cheaply with this like read fault codes or real time engine info?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:14 pm

The Cost of a service would be around £80, the calibration can be saved and reloaded and won't be lost. If you check out the resellers on our website you will see a number of places you could take your car to get it mapped.

The 3 pin plug is used to connect to the ECU in order to connect you would have to purchase the software GWv3 £240 and a comms lead £25. Once you have this equipment all the information on he ECU will be avaliable to you and you will be able to tune the ECU live.

High_Po_Metro
New User

Post by High_Po_Metro » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 am

Thanks very much guys, all the info is much appreciated.