Subaru Diff Controller Question

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

JC Bourgeois
New User
Subaru Diff Controller Question

Post by JC Bourgeois » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Hello, I am currently wiring up my GEMS diff controller in my Impreza and do not know how much current the controller itself draws from the switched ignition source. Can I tap into the power supply immediately after the ignition switch or should I use a direct feed from the battery with a relay? Note that I plan to take power directly from the battery for the diff coil (not to confuse this with the controller power supply). Thanks, JC

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Subaru Diff Controller Question

Post by RickS » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:43 am

Hi,

Yes you can just take the power straight from the ignition. I would fuse it with 3 amps or 5 amps just to cover your back. The controller itself won't draw more then 1 amp.

Thanks
Ed

JC Bourgeois
New User

Post by JC Bourgeois » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:33 am

Ah, dang. :( Yesterday, I wired it directly to the battery with a 20A fuse. Used a relay from the ignition to power it. I wasn't sure if the ignition electrical system could handle it or not. If I have trouble, I'll re-wire the way you suggest. Thanks, JC

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi,

I don't think you are likely to have any problems.

Good luck
Ed

JC Bourgeois
New User

Post by JC Bourgeois » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:09 am

Excellent. I threw a 5A fuse in as opposed the 20A just to be on the safe side. If the relay gives me grief, it's a very simple matter to bypass it anyway. Thanks for the help. JC