EM36 suitability for my application?

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

DarrenElmslie
New User
EM36 suitability for my application?

Post by DarrenElmslie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:11 pm

The reason for my post is to ascertain how the EM36 stacks up against my requirements as a replacement ECU.

A long-term project uses a supercharged Ford Duratec 2.0 and I'd like to increase the amount of inputs my ECU measures (and ideally, could log)

In addition to the following basics:

1x Engine crank position
1x Engine throttle position
1x Engine coolant temperature
1x Engine oil pressure
1x Wideband lambda
1x air temperature

I'd like to be able to monitor:

1x boost pressure pre-intercooler
1x boost pressure post-intercooler
1x inlet (charge) temperature
1x supercharger oil temperature
1x knock
1x fuel pressure

Battery voltage, gear indication and fuel level could be handled by the dash display. Wheel speed could be handled by either

I would want to hook the ECU up to an AIM MXL display via CAN, to let me to display any of the ECU sensors.

Will the EM36 be suited to the inputs I'm after?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
All the best,
Darren

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: EM36 suitability for my application?

Post by RickS » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi Darren.

Basics fine it will easily do these it has an input for 2 lambda sensors if required. Extra features are also fine as the EM36 has Programable analogue inputs (16 of them) which you can use. There are extra user tables which allow these analogue signals to be converted into meaningful values as well. These could be used for fuel level. You can also use the maths channels in DLog to interept the data analogue signals properly.

The EM36 measures battery voltage internally so that can be sent on it's telemetry on the CAN or serial to a display if required. The EM36 has 4 speed inputs, one of which you will be using for the Crankshaft position sensor. the other three may be used as wheelspeeds. The EM36 uses it's speed inputs and RPM to calculate the current gear. the ratio's of which can be user defined. Current Gear can be sent on the CAN or Serial telemetry as well.

If You haven't already purchased the AIM display may I suggest our LDS4 display. The AIM display's are good but the LDS4 uses OLED technolodgy. I Gaurentee you won't have seen anything as clear especially in direct sunlight. The Resolution is excellent as well. The quality of imiges (especially bitmaps) is unbelievable and it's cheap and light as well. Right sales pitch over.

Does this answer your question? The manual is downloadable from our downloads section and makes exceptional bedtime reading.

Hope this helps
Ed

DarrenElmslie
New User

Re: EM36 suitability for my application?

Post by DarrenElmslie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:53 am

Many thanks Ed, a comprehensive and very helpful reply. It sounds like the EM36 will be just the ticket. I

've downloaded the manual and also the GWv3 software to have a read through/play with. The GWv4 screenshots look extremely slick too.