MAP sensor

Post here if you require technical information regarding a GEMS product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

RainR
User
MAP sensor

Post by RainR » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Hello,

What benefits does the car has, when mapping the Gems with MAP sensor, rather than with MAF? Other than you can remove the MAF and have more room under the bonnet?

Also , what kind of MAP sensor does the car needs?
Does it have to be Gems special MAP?
How much does the MAP sensor costs, when ordered from Gems?

Regarding Evo 5 and Gems ecu Evo6 v2.27, where should the MAP sensor be placed at?
What kind of changes does the ecu itself needs, if any?
What kind of other maps there should be tuned for use of MAP sensor?
How does the MAP sensor works, since I use at the moment electronic boost controller and with cold weather I have reduced the boost, since at the same setup it hits 1.5 bar in cold, when in warm it gets 1.2.

Lots of questions :)
Best regards,
Rain

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: MAP sensor

Post by RickS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:39 am

Hi

The real benefits come from when higher boosts are archieved in very highly tuned engines. The MAF sensor can't handle high boost as it is pushed outside of it's range. I would suggest keeping the MAF sensor for as long as you can as if you have a physical measurement of the Mass of air entereing the engine it's very easy to calculate the correct fuel amount needed.
Your Car will need a 3Bar MAP sensor. Map sensors are one of the few sensors that are all reasonable good and very reliable. So no need to be Gems MAP sensor we sell ours for £55 + VAT.
MAP sensor should be moved to the engine side of the throttle plate and reading into the Plenium chamber.

Within the ECU you'll need to switch options Mass AF Off, Air Flow Off and MAP On. Thats all.
Boost is then controlled by the wastegate map on your calibration.

Hope this helps
Ed

Tiago Almeida
New User

Post by Tiago Almeida » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:40 am

Hi

Can you please tell me until each pressure we can use the MAF and should start using the MAP?

I intend to use 1.6bar max pressure.

Regards

Tiago

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi,

It depends on the range of the MAF sensor and how far away you are from standard boost, you'll find it's usually accurate within range. Most people use MAP and AIT because they are more comfortable with it so there's not much wrong with switching to MAP just in case.

Thanks
Ed

Tiago Almeida
New User

Post by Tiago Almeida » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

I will try it and I will tell something about the reults then.

Best regards

Tiago

RSe
New User

Post by RSe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Hello EdH,

Is it the same (turning of maf and turning on map) on my Evo6 2.41? Then, in what ecu pinout i should wire the map solenoid signal (is it 90?). Also for IAT i should wire to pin no. 72 (air temp)?

Also, i redid my wiring and cant find where ALS activation swith was wired?

And, is it available to set the IC water spray readings from IAT (planing to put GeneralMotors 25036751 iat)?

Regards,

Tautvydas

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 am

Hello

Which ECU is this on? I think all of your questions can be answered by the manual in the downloads section of the website.

Thanks
Ed

RSe
New User

Post by RSe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:10 am

Thank you, found answers in manuals.
But i cant understand which ecu i have in my evo6... it is written on chip Lancer G2.41, on another it is written Lancer 25736?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:20 am

Hello,

The Lancer G2.41 is the version number of your ECU.
25736 is the serial number this is usefull if you ever need to talk to us as we can bring up the ECU history from our database.

Currently our database shows it's a Evo 5 ECU G2.41 and it hasn't been back to us since 02/09/2003 when it was built.

Hope this helps
Ed

RSe
New User

Post by RSe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks again.

Last question. Some years ago i have purchased dongle from your company and now i would like to buy map sensor and iat (if gems manufacture it), so should i contact any reseller close to my country (as we dont have them in Lithuania) or i can do it directly from gems.co.uk?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:22 am

Hello,

Yes we do sell both please email sales at gems.co.uk who will be delighted to help we can ship them directly to you next day.

Thanks
Ed

kevinlvy
New User

Post by kevinlvy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:33 am

EdH wrote:Hi

The real benefits come from when higher boosts are archieved in very highly tuned engines. The MAF sensor can't handle high boost as it is pushed outside of it's range. I would suggest keeping the MAF sensor for as long as you can as if you have a physical measurement of the Mass of air entereing the engine it's very easy to calculate the correct fuel amount needed. Your Car will need a 3Bar MAP sensor. Map sensors are one of the few sensors that are all reasonable good and very reliable. So no need to be Gems MAP sensor we sell ours for £55 + VAT.
MAP sensor should be moved to the engine side of the throttle plate and reading into the Plenium chamber.

Within the ECU you'll need to switch options Mass AF Off, Air Flow Off and MAP On. Thats all.
Boost is then controlled by the wastegate map on your calibration.

Hope this helps
Ed
Wow thanks for this wonderful description of the MAP, been confused with the MAF but now its all clear to me and it would be best for high performance engines or engine restorers like me. :D thanks Ed!

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:25 am

Hello,

No problem,

Thanks
Ed