S.N. location & What is this?

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

stevengilo
New User
S.N. location & What is this?

Post by stevengilo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Trying to find out what kind of GEM's unit I have to download the manual for it. I have a pic of the unit, I alsp have a pic of a part that i'm trying to find out..what is it??

The unit is on aa U.S. Birkin with a Raceline zetec motor bought in early 2004.

Which number do you need on the GEM's unit to find out what i have?

Thanks Steven Gilo

*Admin edit*
images resized
Attachments
DSC01912.JPG
DSC01912.JPG (83KiB)Viewed 12459 times
DSC01908.JPG
DSC01908.JPG (74.82KiB)Viewed 12460 times

stevengilo
New User

Re: S.N. location & What is this?

Post by stevengilo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:30 pm

Pics must be too big, but the yellow tag on the inside of the unit has the number MZETA2 G1.30 does this help?

The other has a tag that is 082301 0744 Part 16006835 Lot 14K4901Z What is this?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi there,

I apologise this is a GEMS MINI Zeta ECU. It was made a long time ago for a few engines. It's a great ECU because it's so simple, reliable and works well. Because i didn't realise it's an old ECU I was wrong about the location of the SN. It's on a sticker on the side of the case (Right hand side of it as viewed on the picture you attached above) If you can get a mirror up there you might be able to view it.

The 9 pin connector on the top is the communictaions port. You can buy a lead to plug into this and connect to it using our GWv3 software which is downloadable from this site however you will need to buy a dongle from us at £240 to use the software to connect to your ECU. This might seem like alot but once you have it all of the options, Parameters and maps availible on this ECU can be viewed and modified by you.

The second picture you attached is a picture of a MAP sensor. It sneses the absolute pressure in the inlet manifold and hence how much load the engine is under. The tube extruding from it should be connected to the inlet manifold at a position where it will measure pressure change accross all of the cylinders.
Unless your engine is turbocharged or your ECU has been mapped to use this sensor i would recomend not using it. Throttle position is alot better way to determine engine load for a non turbocharged engine and you will find you gain better response from it. However if you do not have the neccassary equipment to connect to it and you don't want the expense of buying it you need to find someon to connect to the ECU and check you have a throttle position based engine map.

Hope this helps
Ed

stevengilo
New User

Post by stevengilo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Is there a manual that i can download for this unit? What type of computer and programs are needed to look athe the maps? Thanks Steven Gilo

I do have a trhottle position sensor..having problems with fuel cutoff when the motor is under load.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi

You need a computer running windows and a serial or USB port. The software you need is GWv3 which you can download from the website but you will need to purchase a dongle from us at £240 in order to connect to your ECU.

I've attached the mini zeta manual for you.

Fuel cut off is an interesting problem. Is it under any load whatsoever. i.e. the car won't drive anywhere? does the engine cut or splutter and then eventually pick up? how did you diagnose it as a fuel cut.

Hope this helps
Ed
Attachments
MINIZETA MANUAL G1.31.doc
(101KiB)Downloaded 1110 times