Fitting Gems to Lotus S1 111s

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

Skip
New User
Fitting Gems to Lotus S1 111s

Post by Skip » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi,

I've just got hold of GEMS with dongle and lead which was fitted to Lotus S1 S160.

Is it possible to fit it to my Lotus S1 111s 1.8 VVC if so can any one help with where to get the correct base maps as I guess the ecu is loaded with S160 maps at present

Also does anyone know the correct way of installing, i.e flash the ecu then fit to car, or flash when connected to car?

Sorry for newbie questions

Gems Serial Number: OP098
Model No: E1601706001AF

Any help would be great

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Fitting Gems to Lotus S1 111s

Post by RickS » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:37 am

Hi,

The standard S160 ECU was not programable however it was possible to convert them to be programable. Do you know wether the previous owner did this? Seeing as you have been supplied with a dongle and lead he/she may have connected to it before.

It is possible to run the S160 ECU on the 111s but you will need to make sure the correct pins are going to the right places. The pin-out for the s160 should match the pin-out diagram for the 111s as i'm sure you know.

So as long as you can reprogram your ECU this is possible. We can convert it to be programable for you if needed.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Skip
New User

Post by Skip » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks for the reply,

How can I tell if the ECU is programable can I see from the serial number? I'm sure it is beacuse I have a load of S160 maps supplied with the ECU/Dongle & software.

Also does anyone know the pin out for the 111s & S160 if not any ideas on where to look?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to be able to do this?

Once again any help is gratefully recieved

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 am

Hi

No probs ask as many as you like.
The Lotus s160 ECU is refered to as the roverK EM20 by GEMS and i have attached a manual for it which includes the pinout. Sorry i should have attached ths earlier.
If there is only a single 36 pin connector on your ECU it is very probable that the pin outs are the same so you could try just plugging and playing however it is always nice to be 100% certain rather then 90%.

If there is a 36 pin connector as well as an 18 pin connector, as on the later ECU's, then you will have to optain a pinout.

Hope this helps

Ed
Attachments
EM20 K series user Manual G0.30.doc
(98KiB)Downloaded 870 times

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 am

I know Lotus do some limited manuals but i'm not sure they include this information. It's worth trying them, they might let you have one.

Ed

Skip
New User

Post by Skip » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:42 pm

Thank you thats great,

I only have a single 36 pin plug same as the connector on the ecu,

Ill try and blag a workshop manual for my car to confirm the pins match

If I plug in the ecu with S160 maps loaded will I have problems or is there a way to get a base map for my 111s?

Skip
New User

Post by Skip » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:31 am

Ok Research done,

The pins match for sure just checked and both use the same pins. The service manual does state that the non VVC elises are MEMS 1.9 and the VVC (My Cars Version) is MEMS 2J.

It looks like the main difference is non VVC fuel delivery is controlled by the length of time for which the solenoid operates operated injectors are energised, with the injectors in pairs 1 & 4 / 2 & 3

whereas the VVC has ful sequential control strategy with contol of each injector

Ok back for advice is this bad news or does it even matter, I have the lotus service manual now if it helps

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 am

Hi

Ok after a bit of research i am a bit more clued up on this now. Correct me if i'm wrong but the very first S160's were rover engined, The engine for which this ECU was developed, which ran semi sequential injection only but also never ran VVC. So the plot has thickend so to speak. I am confused as to which engine you have now as i thought the toyota engine was the only engine that had full VVC however it has the extra 18 way connector which you don't have so i would conclude yours is a rover engine without VVC and semi sequential injection? please clarify this. The rover K ECU will be able to control both semi and fully sequential injection however it won't do VVC.

You may have already done this but i reccomend downloading the software from our website instead of installing it from any CD you were given. It's free and it's the latest version with all the bug fixes and advancements and as long as you have your Dongle it will work.

Regards

Ed