Calibration Conversion

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

acidlab
New User
Calibration Conversion

Post by acidlab » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm

I have a calibration file from an OMEX 710 v0.70 and would like to use an EM36 I have sitting on the shelf. Can you advise on how to convert easily to EM36 v0.89 rather than start from scratch with a new calibration. Is a conversion tamplate available for GWv4 ?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Calibration Conversion

Post by RickS » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:31 am

Good morning.
I am assuming that you are using MAP4000 to do your calibration work on your OMEX ECU. Now I don't use it personally but as it closely resembles our GWv4, I suspect that there is a 'Convert' option under the 'File' tab.

This is usually for converting from one 'version' of an ECU to a different version, but the same ECU.
All that you would need to try this, is to download and install the .GIN file for the ECU that you want to convert the calibration to. The v0.89 EM36 .GIN file is available to download from our website ('Downloads' section).
However, I am not certain whether a non-OMEX .GIN file is permitted in MAP4000. If it isn't, it will have to be a manual conversion.

Now, if the conversion completes, please check the converted options, tables and maps carefully, as there are differences between the two ECUs. The conversion process WILL give you a list of the features not available and features that have been added. I suggest that you take a note of these to help debug the new calibration.

I hope that this helps and let us know how you gt on.
BR, RickS

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:42 pm

By the looks of things, the OMEX equivalent of .GIN files are hard coded (buried) in MAP4000, so you will not be able to use it to convert an OMEX cal to a GEMS cal using this method. You cannot load a GEMS .GIN file into MAP4000, sorry...

BR, Rick

acidlab
New User

Post by acidlab » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:00 pm

No need to say sorry...

Through trial and error as such i've managed to extract the OMEX .GIN files from MAP4000 and have them installed in GWv4 which is allowing me to carry out a conversion however there are numerous differences/parameter as youve previously mentioned so it may be easier to start with a new base calibration than spend the time debugging as its a pretty simply setup.

Can you provide a startup calibration from the information below for the EM36 ? I can copy over the fuel and ignition maps from the OMEX calibration.

36-1 (Crank sensor MVR)
Cam sensor (Single Tooth)
6 injectors (Bosch EV14)
3 Ignition Outputs (Coil and Distributor)
Idle control (2 Wire - FUEL 8)
Wideband Lambda control x 2
Firing Order 153624
Knock Sensor (Bosch)
CTS - Bosch 0280130026
ATS - Bosch 0280130039

Thanks

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:22 pm

Can certainly have a look but whether we have something for a '6', I'm really not sure.
If I find something that is suitable, I'll post it here. Might be a BMW or a 993 though....

In the meantime, I have attached a a document with suggested pin-out options for an EM36, that might prove useful.
Attachments
EM36 Possible Pin Assignments.pdf
EM36 4, 6 and 8 cyl pin assignments for EM36
(423.31KiB)Downloaded 762 times

acidlab
New User

Post by acidlab » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm pretty much almost there however whilst cranking the ECU isn't registering an engine speed.. despite the crank sensor working fine... I've already had to enable the TPS source option as it wasn't reading anything for the throttle. Is there an option related to the engine speed signal ?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi again, well done so far....
There are a few options that govern the Engine Speed parameter.
The two main ones are Cycle Rev and Speed Mul. You should also ensure that parameter Rev Time is producing a value and if it isn't check that you're seeing TPERnn values, which will show whether the ECU is seeing the pulses from the crank sensor.

ENGINE SPEED
The tooth control table is used to derive crank position by creating internally significant teeth. The calculated rate of internal teeth is used to produce the most important parameter Engine Speed.

Rev time = Σ (TPER00 TPERnn), where TPERnn is the captured value of Tooth Time for the number of Wheel Teeth required. This refers to timing wheel teeth.

The user should be aware whether Wheel Teeth represents an engine cycle, revolution, or possibly the fastest logical update rate, a cylinder event. It is possible to have Wheel Teeth greater than Fuel Teeth or Spark Teeth to effectively average unequally firing 4 stroke engines with only a crank signal.

Engine Speed = (120 / (Rev Time)) × Speed Mul

If Wheel Teeth represents one four stroke engine cycle then set Cycle Rev = ‘On’ and Speed Mul = 50%, or Cycle Rev = ‘Off’, and Speed Mul = 99.99%.

If Wheel Teeth represents one engine revolution then set Cycle Rev = ‘Off’ and Speed Mul = 99.99% or Cycle Rev = ‘On’ and Speed Mul = 50%

The user scalar option Speed X (version 01v28), may be changed from 1 (same as 0) to a higher value to extend the useful maximum engine speed from a nominal 12,800rpm, at the expense of table and map resolution to 2 for 25,400rpm.

Speed mul User option can be used to make a parameter called User Speed.
User Speed = (Engine Speed × Speed mul User) /100rpm
Attachments
CycleRev.png
CycleRev.png (20.56KiB)Viewed 15293 times
Last edited by RickS on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding a small table for completness

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi again, well done so far....
There are a few options that govern the Engine Speed parameter.
The two main ones are Cycle Rev and Speed Mul. You should also ensure that parameter Rev Time is producing a value and if it isn't check that you're seeing TPERnn values, which will show whether the ECU is seeing the pulses from the crank sensor.

Make sure that you have the jumper set for JP1 as follows: -
No Jumper - High Sensitivity VR
Pins 1 & 2 - Typical VR
Pins 2 & 3 - Hall Effect (2k2 pullup)

ENGINE SPEED
The tooth control table is used to derive crank position by creating internally significant teeth. The calculated rate of internal teeth is used to produce the most important parameter Engine Speed.

Rev time = Σ (TPER00 TPERnn), where TPERnn is the captured value of Tooth Time for the number of Wheel Teeth required. This refers to timing wheel teeth.

The user should be aware whether Wheel Teeth represents an engine cycle, revolution, or possibly the fastest logical update rate, a cylinder event. It is possible to have Wheel Teeth greater than Fuel Teeth or Spark Teeth to effectively average unequally firing 4 stroke engines with only a crank signal.

Engine Speed = (120 / (Rev Time)) × Speed Mul

If Wheel Teeth represents one four stroke engine cycle then set Cycle Rev = ‘On’ and Speed Mul = 50%, or Cycle Rev = ‘Off’, and Speed Mul = 99.99%.

If Wheel Teeth represents one engine revolution then set Cycle Rev = ‘Off’ and Speed Mul = 99.99% or Cycle Rev = ‘On’ and Speed Mul = 50%

The user scalar option Speed X (version 01v28), may be changed from 1 (same as 0) to a higher value to extend the useful maximum engine speed from a nominal 12,800rpm, at the expense of table and map resolution to 2 for 25,400rpm.

Speed mul User option can be used to make a parameter called User Speed.
User Speed = (Engine Speed × Speed mul User) /100rpm