Subaru85 00V77 no longer outputs 9600 baud serial stream

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

Ennten
New User
Subaru85 00V77 no longer outputs 9600 baud serial stream

Post by Ennten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:40 am

I have a Subaru85 ECU #30458.

I understand that "When the ECU is started without a P.C. connected to RX (pin C07) a data logging stream will be generated (RPM, Load, Throttle, Air Temp, Coolant Temp, Volts, Accel Fuel, Fuel Pulse and Ignition Advance) with one character every 4.1 milliseconds transmitted at 9600 Baud 8bits no parity two stop bits. This stream is suitable for most GEMS data loggers but not displays."

In 2013 or so, when it was fitted with 0.47A EPROM,
I used to log the 9600 baud serial stream.

In 2017, I have the 0.77 eprom fitted.
I no longer see the 9600 baud serial stream.

My serial and serial-to-USB cables are all tested.
Was the serial streaming functionality stopped between EPROM versions 0.47A and 0.77 ?
Can it be re-enabled?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Subaru85 00V77 no longer outputs 9600 baud serial stream

Post by RickS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 am

Good morning....
From our records, it looks as if the V0.77 update was done in October 2014 (Job #69109). It was also back in December the same year for an Over-Voltage issue and the comms was damaged (Job #69275).

This issue might be as a result of this, as the telemetry uses the comm port.
Can you communicate with the ECU from a PC?
What logger are you connecting the ECU to..?

If possible, please send the ECU calibration to the tech.support (@) gems.co.uk email address (and the logger setup if it is a GEMS logger) and we will check/test this. The logging feature was not removed in the later version on the firmware. We are assuming that no other wiring changes have occured to the com port and that the ECU is power cycled after it has been connected to a PC, before tememetry is attempted. I am sure that you are aware, that if you disconnect the ECU from the PC and immediately connect the logger to the comms port, the ECU 'thinks' that it is still connected to the PC and will not enter telemetry mode...

Best regards,
RickS...

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Subaru85 00V77 no longer outputs 9600 baud serial stream

Post by RickS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:02 pm

The baud rate for the serial transmission, is held in the 'Telemetry' tab in GWv4.
If you click on the 'Serial Telemetry Set-up' option, the baud rate can be seen in the right-hand panel.

Thanks for asking about this as it's a little hard to find, if you don't know what to look for...
Regards, RickS