DA3: Details about Serial Input

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

akademik
New User
DA3: Details about Serial Input

Post by akademik » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:43 pm

I´m trying to tinker following thing at the moment:
- I want to connect an Arduino MKR1000 to the DA3 via serial interface.
- The Arduino shall communicate with my GoPro Cameras + send a status to the DA3 (recording-time, video count..)
- The problem is now that I have to use one of the protocols available inside the DA3 implementation.
- I´ve tried with the Techmor, that is documented...without success. I get zeros for all the serial inputs. The arduino makes only 3.3V at its serial-outs... is it enough for the DA3 to detect the on-off levels?
- Is there some details about other protocols to be able to try them?

Anybody tried something like that & has some suggestions?

Many thanks
Karsten

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: DA3: Details about Serial Input

Post by RickS » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 am

Good morning Karsten....
I see what you are attempting but I don't think that any of the Engine Management System RS232 protocols, that are available in the DA3, will suit the purpose that your after.

As the DA3 uses asynchronous serial (RS232), would this match the SPI in your Arduino unit as I thought that this used a synchronising clock signal..? or can this be ignored..?

Having said that, I will push this onto our developers and see whether there is any mileage in including a protocol that is 'user defined'.

I can't promise anything but will post back here with what I'm able to discover.
Regards, RickS

akademik
New User

Post by akademik » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Rick,

Thank you for investigating it further.

As far as I know RS232 is asynchronous anyway. That means it has a defined baud-rate, but sender & receiver not necessarily having their clocks synchronized. The begin of a stream is identified by a protocol-dependent identifier / string and is finished by another command (most of the cases CR = carriage return).

The Arduino MKR1000 has a quite standard UART = Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter... so the DA3 has, I guess.
It can make all common baud-rates for serial comms... only backdraw: Its limited to 3.3Volts in Level.

I have to get an oscilloscope...I may did some mistakes in the arduino-code that need to be sorted out.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:35 am

I have promoted this to development, as apparently this was a 'one-off' for you, built last year.
I wasn't aware, apologies. TechSupport doesn't usually get involved with special builds.

They will be in contact with you directly, when they have comments/observations or need more input.
I think that they will require a look at the logging setup file (.STU) that you have installed and any logging files (.STF) that you have created, even if they are 'flat-lines'. Please forward them to the Tech (dot) Support email address and I will get them into the system.

RickS

akademik
New User

Post by akademik » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi @RickS:

After letting this sleep for a while, I picked-up the topic now.
Since I´m working with a one-off firmware right now, and did´t get any contact from you dev-team so far, could you please send me a download-link for the mainline firmware of the DA-3, please? I fear that my one-off firmwareis not working well in terms of serial-Inputs.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:39 pm

I'll check what version would suit this best and contact you ASAP...

Regards, RickS

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:11 am

OK....
Apologies for the delay but it's the start of many race Championships/Series and you were pushed down the priority order... a bit... sorry...

I have tracked down the latest firmware that you can upload.
Because of forum restrictions, I cannot add the file here, so please send an email to tech.support ' @ ' gems.co.uk and I will send it to you as long as your internet provider (and your mail client) allows executables to be received.

If not, I will get you a version either via our 'Customer Zone' or via a dropbox.
BR, RickS

akademik
New User

Post by akademik » Tue May 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi RickS.. I mailed you an upload-link... Thank you in advance

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 am

Firmware posted account supplied.