GEMS EVO 6.5 and HKS DLI II (Problems)

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

Camo
New User
GEMS EVO 6.5 and HKS DLI II (Problems)

Post by Camo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:17 am

Hi there:
I have an EVO 6.5 running with the GEMS. Yesterday we installed a HKS DLI and the car doesn`t start, seems like we are not getting any ignition. Then We tried the DLI into a stock ECU and it worked fine, therefore something is missing in our GEMS.
Could you give as and idea what could be wrong, or how to solve the problem ???
Thanks

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GEMS EVO 6.5 and HKS DLI II (Problems)

Post by R!C0 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Camo,

Could you give some more details about the GEMS ECU: version and if possible serial number, the version should be on a label on the eprom.

Also has the car been run with just the GEMS ECU? if so did it run ok?

Thanks

Rico

Camo
New User

Post by Camo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Rico:
Thanks for your quick answer.
The ECU version is the Lancer 02.28.
Both cars are running GEMS, and they run fine. One of them have mild modification and the other one have a lot of mod (2.3L, GT35R, etc......)
I do not have have the serial number, should I take it out to get it???

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi Camo,

Thanks for the info, no need for the serial number.

There shouldn't be any problems but the DLI is something we haven't had any experience of. We have been on to our friends at HKS Europe who are getting back to us with any known issues/setup requirements. Will let you know when we hear back.

Regards

Rico

Camo
New User

Post by Camo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 pm

Rico:
I'll be waiting for the HKS Europe answer. The problem is pretty wierd, I mead HKS DLI works on stock ECU but not on gems. I you waqnt me to check something just let me know and I will check it.

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Nothing we need checking yet, will let you know if we do, thanks. They havn't got back to us yet, looks like might not be till monday, hope this is not a problem.

Rico

Camo
New User

Post by Camo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Any news from HKS Europe!!.

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Camo,

Sorry for the delay. Have heard back from HKS but all they were able to tell me is that they have run a DLI with a GEMS EVO 9 ECU with out any problems. So the only thing we can think of is that some of the early EVO 6 ECU's had different pull-up resistors on the ignition outputs which might be making it incompatiable with the DLI. If you find the serial number then i can confirm this, but this might not be the complete reason as HKS were unable to confirm the version of the DLI they were running so we can not be sure.

Is there any particular reason you feel you need to run the DLI? Both engineers here and at HKS agreed it was not necessary our ECU on its own should be more than enough. If you were having a seperate issue which lead you to try the DLI we might be able to sort that out instead.

Best Regards

Rico