Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

danny1988
New User
3rd party display

Post by danny1988 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a gems plug and play ecu for my subaru impreza

my question is....

will the gems ecu be compatible with an AiM EXL display?

many thanks dan

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: 3rd party display

Post by RickS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:19 am

Please tell me the model and version of your PnP ECU.

Some models are able to send 'serial' telemetry, some can't. With a little more info, I can give you an answer.

Best regards,
RickS

danny1988
New User

Post by danny1988 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:10 pm

hi Ricks

sorry for the delayed reply been waiting for delivery of the ecu

on the connector block the blue sticker has "Subaru96/25434"

and

on the chip on the pcb the yellow sticker has "Subaru96 G2.29"

cheers dan

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:49 pm

No problem Dan,
Unfortunately, the Subaru96 does not produce any CAN or serial data that would be useful to a display. I can only suggest that the cars telemetry be sent to the display via analogue inputs.

When the ECU is started without a P.C. connected to RX (pin C07) a data logging stream will be generated (RPM, Load, Throttle, Air Temp, Coolant Temp, Volts, Accel Fuel, Fuel Pulse and Ignition Advance) with one character every 4.1 milliseconds transmitted at 9600 Baud 8bits no parity two stop bits. This stream is suitable for most GEMS data loggers but not displays.

I have checked our database and can tell you that your unit left us in January of 2004 with an EPROM for version G2.25, so somebody has replaced/updated that and it wasn't us as the unit has never been back to us for modification or repair.

Should you need a manual for the ECU it can be downloaded from our website.

BR
RickS

danny1988
New User

Post by danny1988 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:07 pm

thank you RickS

I wont be buying the display then.

im not an ecu guru by any means, I brought the ecu of a rally car being broken due to accident damage, its being fitted to my road/track car and will be mapped to suit.

I have found the manuals from the site and considered purchasing the software and licence (if at all possible) as id like to learn more about it. (with some training of course).

I assume that the g2.29 version is a better upgrade from the original g2.25 or is there a certain reason why it would have be changed/upgraded?

thank you for all you help and input

cheers dan

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:03 am

I would have expected that the changes between the two version to be mainly cosmetic but I will check for you and if I find some info, I will post it here.

Regarding the licence issue, you really have two options. i) We, of course will be more than willing to sell you a licence but are you going to spend a great deal of time tinkering to get that last H.P...? If you are, then fine, but if you just intend to drive the thing then, ii) take it to a GEMS aware tuner who will do the graft for you and the cash you save from the licence will help pay for the dyno time and I would suggest that the job will be done quicker.

Just giving you options..!
BR, Rick

danny1988
New User

Post by danny1988 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:19 am

ok thank you

that was my original idea to be honest but now that I know the licence is purchasable it is food for thought for the future

any recommendation on quality gems mappers? I know of a couple of local guys to me that map the ecu's but always open to suggestions.

cheers dan

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 am

Where abouts are you based and who are the tuners that you mention..? Are they equipped with dyno gear...?
BR,
RickS

danny1988
New User

Post by danny1988 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Im based just outside Bournemouth, Dorset.

I was considering using Jolly Green Monster and using the Dyno at Surrey Rolling Road.

Im prepared to travel if needs be to get the ECU mapped.

Dan

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:53 am

OK.... Sounds like a good move. They're not a customer of ours but are 'GEMS aware' and I've heard good things. Let us know how things progress.
Besr regards,
Rick