Mini DLS

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

Rich8977
New User
Mini DLS

Post by Rich8977 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:30 pm

I currently have the above ecu fitted to my Westfield running twin weber 45's on a 1.8 silver top zetec engine, if I upgrade to Jenvey throttle bodies will the ecu be compatible, also how do you change or alter the settings? Can it be done via a laptop and if so what software is required and where do you connect it to the laptop

Thanking you in advance

Regards

Rich

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Mini DLS

Post by RickS » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 am

Good morning Rich,
The MiniDLS is an 'ignition only' ECU and so is incapable of controlling fuel pulses. If you wish to stay in the GEMS family, you need to be looking for a MiniZETA if you are running or thinking of running Lambda or MiniEMS if you're not, both of which can be mapped for fuel and sparks.

Editting the calibrations is accomplished by using our GWv4 software, which is available from our website. To be able to connect it to an ECU however, you will need a licence dongle, which allows you to connect to all of the commercial GEMS ECUs.

Pins 10 and 11 are the Serial Out and Serial In which is the serial connection for downloading and uploading the calibrations.

HTH
RickS

PS. DLS Manual attached if you would like to know more.......
Attachments
MINIDLS MANUAL.doc
(171KiB)Downloaded 1142 times

Rich8977
New User

Post by Rich8977 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Rick

Thanks for the reply, the manual is useful, if I change to the mini zeta ecu what sort of cost is it and would I be able to use the TPS sensors etc.. That are currently fitted, can you also advise what the cost is for the dongle.

Many thanks

Rich

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 am

Hi again Rich,
The Zeta, as with all of the 'Mini' range of ECUs, is now obsolete as far as GEMS production is concerned but we still actively support them. I have several contacts that are using them in '7s' worldwide. The trick is being able to find one in the 'pre-loved' market.

The Zeta is a simple but flexible ECU, allowing MAP or TPS to govern load. Magnetic or Hall sensor for signal and an effective Start, Warm-up, Lambda and Idle strategy dependent upon the version that you find.

The version is important and ranges from G1.25 to G1.32 with additional features the later the version. We can upgrade by replacing the processor chip, so there is still life in the old dog yet...! We have a selection of calibration maps that could fast-track development.

I use one in my road car ('Sleeper' Audi 80) and the torque and consumption improvement is very noticeable. Expect to part with no more than 200 of your earth pounds even though they are sought after.

Regarding the Licence Dongle, this retails at 300 GPB which, although allowing you to connect to ANY GEMS ECU, seems a lot if you intend to set the car up and leave it. If you plan to be out there with your laptop searching for that extra 'mousepower' it is essential. Unless you want to tinker, I would find your local GEMS aware tuner and let him do the setup work....

I hope that this answers some of your queries and if you intend to go for a new ECU, or you can't find a Zeta, I would recommend the Omex 600, which although similar but more expensive, does offer an extended range of functions.

Regards,
RickS
PS. Zeta (G1.32) manual attached for you to compare.
Attachments
MINIZETA MANUAL G1.32.doc
Detailing the latest version
(256.5KiB)Downloaded 850 times

Rich8977
New User

Post by Rich8977 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Many thanks for your help, time to ponder on the upgrade

Regards

Rich

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:31 am

No problem Rich,
We'll help where we can.

As you will appreciate, we rarely get involved with the second-hand market but if I hear of a MiniZeta on the market, I will let you know.

BR
Rick