Wiring the inovite LC1 to GEMS ECU Evo3

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

Robin
New User
Wiring the inovite LC1 to GEMS ECU Evo3

Post by Robin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 am

Hi,

I have a Lancer Evo 3 ECU with G2.28 in it.

I have been told that the LC1 from inovite motorsports will give me the best lamda solution to this ECU.
I wonder how to wire it up to the ECU, just the signal cable. And what options a need to work with to get it run properly.

Please teach me

Best Regards
Robin

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Wiring the inovite LC1 to GEMS ECU Evo3

Post by RickS » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:21 am

Hi,
Just so I go off and investigate the right component, do you mean Innovate LC1...? Apologies for asking but I need to be sure...
If it is, the LC1 is a wide-band sensor and the ECU is only designed for narrow-band. The ECU can be physically modified i.e. component changes but this would only allow a 0-5v range. There are no Lambda maps available for this version of GEMS ECU. Sorry.
BR
RickS

Robin
New User

Post by Robin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 am

Hi RickS,

Yes i do. Sorry for misspelling.

BR
Robin

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Lovely sensor...!

However, the LC1 is a wide-band sensor and the ECU is only designed for narrow-band. For a fee, the ECU can be physically modified i.e. component changes but this would only allow a 0-5v range. There are no Lambda maps available for this version of GEMS ECU. Sorry.

RickS

Robin
New User

Post by Robin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:49 am

Thank you RickS, I just got all the information I needed.

BR
Robin

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:51 am

No problem.

roadblaster0_1
New User

Post by roadblaster0_1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,

I’m new here and have less experience on EFI tuning. Therefore I want to apologies in advance for some strange questions.

Question: Is it possible to wire a wideband lambda an a newer version like EVO III 2.41

regards

EK9turbo
New User

Post by EK9turbo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Robin wrote:Hi,

I have a Lancer Evo 3 ECU with G2.28 in it.

I have been told that the LC1 from inovite motorsports will give me the best lamda solution to this ECU.
I wonder how to wire it up to the ECU, just the signal cable. And what options a need to work with to get it run properly.

Please teach me

Best Regards
Robin
Hi Robin,

Having many years experience with that wideband in its various forms, from experience I would not recommend that product be used in a closed loop situation of any sorts. Only for data logging. My reasoning being that in my experience they tend to kill the sensors heater element far too fast, having looked at this with the oscilloscope, i believe its caused by the way it controls the heater element current. I've also seen them randomly forget their calibration FAR too often which is extremely annoying)

Also for reference, when a wideband has not got a sensor reference ground wire, if it was used with an ecu that is set-up to read a 0-5v input, then you can splice the widebands' power ground into one of the ECU's power grounds, this normally eliminates the need for any voltage offset in the software.
Which makes the gauge or serial data match with the ECU software very accurately. ... Although you MUST as a matter of course, make sure there is ideally no resistance on this ground wire, to avoid voltage drop. If there is significant resistance, then the ground conductor gauge/thickness (read: WIRE) must be increased to protect the devices and maintain proper operation. Measure ground potential at the back of the ground pin on each device whilst on.

Also make sure the power supply is fused at source from a master supply. Connecting the wideband power output to greatly varying sources like accessory power will render your data worthless.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Roadblaster,
As per the 2.28, 2.41 was designed to cater for narrow-band lambda and only allows the oxygen sensor signal to modulate between upper and lower limits specified as 'options' OX_FB_+ve and OX_FB_-ve in the calibration.

As mentioned above there are no Oxygen Feedback maps for version 2.28 either and although a hardware mod is available for produce a 0-5v value for lambda, this will not replicate a wide band sensor.

In standard trim, the 2.75 (Lancer8) and some 4 plug ECUs onward have wide-band options. Some can also be calibrated with the lambda heater options.

BR
RickS