PCMCIA cards and modern laptops

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

CMW
Frequent User
PCMCIA cards and modern laptops

Post by CMW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 pm

My data cards for my GEMS DA99-L2 loggers went into the card slot of my old laptop just fine and were read correctly. This laptop has now died and a later Dell with Card Bus won't accept the cards. they go into the slot but won't connect. I suspect it's incapable of reading these cards. what are my options, I would also like to read cards directly on my main PC, can you get card readers that connect to the USB port? Will the GEMS analysis software still read the cards via any external card reader? Thanks.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: PCMCIA cards and modern laptops

Post by RickS » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 am

Good Morning/Happy New Year,

Will check this out ASAP. Would you mind telling me what models of old and new Dell laptops were/are it is so that I can check out their specs with Dell?

Thanks

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 am

A happy New Year to all at GEMS, too :)

The old laptop was a Compaq Evo N600C, the newer one is a Dell Inspiron 1720. I have also asked about this on a computer forum, and they feel that the old PC ran a Card Bus slot that accepts PCMCIA cards, the newer one runs a different architecture, as do most modern laptops, that accepts a newer architecture called Express card/54 slot. Apparently there are card adaptors to put the PCMCIA card into these later slots, do GEMS have experience of how ell these work please? I would really like some sort of USB port card reader, so cards can also be read on my main desktop PC, as well as my laptop.

Thanks.

This was the reply on a PC forum:

"PC Card/CardBus (alternative name for 32 bit PC Card) have been dead for a long time.
Your Dell has an ExpressCard/54 slot but you can buy an adaptor to PC Card- Google 'ExpressCard to CardBus Laptop Adapter PC Card - CardBus adapter - ExpressCard/34 - Plug-in module' although it is expensive at £40"

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am

..... as far as external USB readers are concerned, they are out there but VERY expensive from what I've seen.

This maybe an incompatibility between card formats. If so, depending on the 'revision' of your software, an upgrade is available. I'll need the serial number to be able to check this out, however, if your version (I'm presuming DA-PRO) is prior to 'revision E', this upgrade isn't available.

Regards

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am

Not sure I follow, the new laptop is physically unable to connect to the card. The card enters the slot in the laptop, but cannot be made to accept the male pins of the contactor I assume is within the laptop. So a hardware issue. I am also a bit confused about what cards these loggers will write and read. The three loggers came with a motley assortment of used cards, the largest being 32 megs. I would really like a couple of bigger capacity new cards. Thanks.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Yes, agreed. A hardware issue certainly but I was just informing you of an upgrade to the software that may have an impact.

Regarding the use of an adaptor for your Compact Flash cards, we have had no reported problems but I'm still checking and will confirm as soon as I know something concrete.

Regarding the size/capacity of the cards, the logger was only designed to use a max of 1Gb. The hardware is not currently available for me to test anything larger but there are no reported issues with other sizes being used. When this piece of kit was marketed, 1Gb was considered sufficient! How times change.

Regards.

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:37 pm

OK, thanks RickS, much appreciated. I have lost the note I made of the logger serial numbers and firmware versions labelled on the chips, when I find it I'll post up, I am pretty sure one of the staff at GEMS said there were at least two firmware updates available since mine were released. A 1 Gb card would be more than adequate fro my usage, I managed with 1 meg in my Motec M800 for ages, and the current 32 meg cards are allowing me to be a lot more blasé about what I log. I would be interested in feedback from any users who are having to use these card adapters, I know how fickle some of this Taiwanese and Chinese stuff can be with PC's and software. Cheers.