Help setting up DA99-L2 to read MOTEC CAN stream?

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

CMW
Frequent User
Help setting up DA99-L2 to read MOTEC CAN stream?

Post by CMW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:34 pm

I am really struggling getting the set up to enable one of my DA99-L2 loggers
to read my Motec M800 data stream and set up sensor parameters. I know
Dave Rowe of Motec mapping reknown well, and he said he had trouble getting
a GEMS dash to talk with an M800, and GEMS sent a field engineer out to
set it up for him, for a fee. Is there any way I could bring the gear over to
leave with someone at your HQ and have an expert create a logger set up file? What
would you need, and roughly how much would it cost? My sanity has a
price :) As a guide I want to be able to log the parameters in the
screen shots attached. I think I can eventually master the CAN
parameters, it's the sensor set ups that are too daunting. Thanks.

http://www.gatesgarth.com/data1.jpg

and

http://www.gatesgarth.com/data2.jpg

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help setting up DA99-L2 to read MOTEC CAN stream?

Post by R!C0 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi,

Do you have the later version M800 with configurable CAN feature? Do you know how the CAN is being transmitted - message id, message structures?

Have you set up the Logger before? Which software are you using?

Thanks

Rico

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi Rico. I have three of the DA99-L2 loggers and two cars with M800's in, and one which will either be having a Syvecs or a Gems ecu in it. Both ecu's are on the latest firmware and software, and in the screenshots you can see the basics of how I have set up CAN transmission in one of the M800's. Motec say the versions of ECU and software are configurable to speak with the logger or a GEMS dash, and I think I *MAY* have the Motec side of it set OK? I believe all three loggers were previously used in WRC cars with your own ecu's. I have never set one up before, and have been spoilt by pre compiled sensor set ups with the Motec stuff. I have both the DLOG99 and the GEMS standard data viewing / logger set up software, both are versions off your current downloads site. Having never attempted anything like this before it's proving rather daunting. I have a sheet showing how to set up an M800 with one of your dash displays, but I get lost in the sensor set up section.

My first "daft" question is does every sensor feeding the M800 have to be also set up, parameter wise, in the DA99-L2 logger?
How does one find the necessary info for such things as a Bosch LS4 wideband, a Delco 3 bar MAP sensor, a Nissan Skyline throttle pot, etcetera?

Is setting up the logger a service GEMS can offer for a fee? Have you the patience and willingness to talk me through this if not ;) ?

Thanks.

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm

We can try and take it you through it, we can do setup work, but we'll see how we can get on. If it comes here it may be some time before someone will be able to go through it.

Firstly leave the display setup sheet aside, its very different. Second, use only GEMS Data-Analysis, not Dlog, so we can be clear what we are referring to.

Essentially what we need to do is to know what CAN the M800 is outputting, then, replicate that in the Logger. This requires message IDs, and byte information. On those screens you sent, there is an 'Export Comms template' button. That looks like it may give us further information about what is being sent out. Please do this and attach to the post. Also could be useful to see your logger setup has you have it now.

Thanks

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 pm

OK, I have four files linked, one is the Motec M800 comms export file, but I think it may be useless until opened in the Motec M800 ecu software.

The second zipped file is my basic messing with the logger setup, the .stu file.

The third file is my Motec M800 setup file, the actual programming file. I am using the latest Motec software release, which is the fourth file.

http://www.gatesgarth.com/m800_custom_data.zip

http://www.gatesgarth.com/logger_setup.zip

http://www.gatesgarth.com/27th%20July%2 ... hanged.e35

http://www.gatesgarth.com/m800_352J2.exe

Thank you very much for helping here, it's much appreciated.

Would you rateher I linked to files or tried to attach them directly?

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks for that.

First issue is getting the CAN address and CAN transfer rate setup.

Firstly the address: The value in motec manager you have is 580. Now they have this value as a decimal for some reason, so we have to convert this to hex which is 244. So I have setup your CAN Inputs for the DA99 to start at 244.

Next the speed I have set it at 160Hz which seems to be a compatible speed for both.

Then in the Channel outputs for DA99 each CAN input channel should (if I have understood everything correctly!) relate to each one of your parameters (they send 4 channels per ID). I have matched up the first few for you.

See where this gets us, and if we have data getting between the units.

Thanks

*EDIT: files removed

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks, great customer service, much appreciated. I will be back as soon as I have wired a logger up, I now have the Deutsch connectors and pins for the loggers, so I can do a temporary lash up for diagnostic purposes. I may be a little while, pretty hectic here. Thanks again though, I was despairing of getting a set up file off my own bat, I feel a lot happier now :)

Motec told me the M800 will output default figures even with *NO* sensors attached, so I might try a bench set up first, but there again I can't see if anything changes with ecu input changes. I'll probably wire into the CAN on the actual vehicle.

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 pm

No problem, let me know how it goes.

PS: I removed the files from my post, if you need them again i'll PM them over.

Best Regards

Rico

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi Rico. Here is where I am at. I updated the M800 with your modified file and double checked it was loaded. I connect CAN Hi to pin 5 of the Motec loom Deltron connector that is used to communicate with the data lead Motec supply for mapping and data retrieval, and CAN Lo to pin 4. I checked with Motec that these 2 pins were receiving CAN data all the time, and they said if the data lead will work off this connector they are fine. I can obviously know this side is OK as the data lead updated the map. I put a used PCMCIA 4 meg card in my old laptop PCMCIA slot. I sees the card. I loaded your GEMS logger file, it warned data on the card would be lost. It wrote to the card a file of matching size to your file. Old data was gone. I wired up the Deutsch connector (red striped one) with 12v + to pin 1, battery (chassis) ground to pin 2, CAN Hi to pin 5 and CAN Lo to pin 3. When powered up with the card already in the logger the LED lit red. I fired up the engine and the LED didn't change. I was expecting it to change colour if it was logging data? File size on the card, when I removed it after powering down, has not changed, after a few minutes varied engine running. Reading the card in the laptop on My Computer, shows no change. Looking at the card GDA it says something like no data. I feel that for some reason the logger / card is not seeing any data from the Motec at the moment. I am not 100% sure if I need to "do anything" to MAKE the GEMS logger start logging, am I missing anything? Thank you Rico, at least I have got it powered up and no smoke is emitted :)

Thanks for removing the M800 file, but don't worry, if it's of interest to anyone they are welcome to have a look!
Attachments
ecu-m800.pdf
Motec M800 pin outs and wiring diagram
(38.64KiB)Downloaded 886 times

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Here's the file from the PCMCIA card as removed after trying to log data:
Attachments
DA99LOG.STF
(11.59KiB)Downloaded 814 times

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:07 pm

A red light staying indicates either no can or bad setup. The wiring looks ok, so assuming it is producing a CAN output, then have to consider our setup.

Do you know the firmware version the DA99L2 is running?

In GDA setup editor, try selecting Legacy DA99 in the DA99 setup.

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Two, including the one I am playing with now, have 8.35, the other one has 8.34 (On a label on the EPROMS). Do I need to use the legacy software with 8.35? I am sure I read in some of the information about putting the card in after the logger is turned on, it's nothing to do with that is it Rico? Cheers.

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:03 pm

There seems to be a "Test" function available in GDA, but I don't know how to connect the laptop with GDS running to the logger, in real time. None of the three loggers came with any sort of leads. Would the data from monitoring it on line be of use to you? Can the lead be made, or has it to be bought? Thanks.

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Did you try loading the setup with the Legacy logger setting set?

Thanks

CMW
Frequent User

Post by CMW » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:39 pm

I am ashamed to say I am still trying to see where you set this legacy logger setting thing.