Mating EM36 & DA1 with CAN

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

Kairamon
New User
Mating EM36 & DA1 with CAN

Post by Kairamon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 pm

I want to connect a EM36 ( 00V89 ) to a DA1 using CAN .
After many hours of trying my results were not very successful .
I specified a CAN speed of 250kHz and tried outputting TPS RAW trough the M01W1 .
I assigned CTele1 ID01 b10-03 = 0x0A .
I got nothing logged to the DA1 although i got a steady green led .
I connected a CAN reader and found that the ECU pushed the message over CAN but it did not change values as i played with the throttle , only after cycling power did i get a new value over the CAN , but the value was what was first read when powered up , it does not change after that .
Also i tried changing CTele1 Rate from 10 - 500ms , but it does nothing , the one word i got working updates as fast as i can read & stays the same .

Could You help me with a little sample setup on how to configure both the EM36 and DA1 .
What settings are needed on the EM36 to send , say TPS , MAP , CoolantT , IntakeT on message1 and EngRPM and RoadSpeed on message2 .
What would the settings be on the DA1 side ??
What would You recommend to be the CAN addresses ?
How often does the ECU send these messages ?

In the future my goal is to add a 4Hz serial GPS stream to the DA1 and log a lot more CAN channels , probably +20 & ECU channels .

Thank You !

Kairamon
New User

Re: Mating EM36 & DA1 with CAN

Post by Kairamon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 am

Does the CAN need terminating resistors ?

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Mating EM36 & DA1 with CAN

Post by RickS » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 am

Hello,

Use the Telemetry setup in the software as this will make things much clearer and easier and it will adjust all the relavent options for you. Make sure you ID style is set to the correct number.

If you have GWv4 the telemetry setup is accessed by clicking on the telemtrey menu and then CAN telemetry setup.

Termination resistors are not required as they are fitted internally.

Thanks
Ed