EM36 "Timming Ground" Pin

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

littlestevie
User
EM36 "Timming Ground" Pin

Post by littlestevie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 am

Hi,

The EM36 has a "timming ground" pin. The manual does not say what it is for. Is it just a simple sensor/power gnd?

Thanks!

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EM36 "Timming Ground" Pin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:16 am

Hi,

I assume you mean 'Timing ground'. This is that pin that should be used for the sensor grounds for the cam and crank sensors.

Hope this helps.

Rico

littlestevie
User

Post by littlestevie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi Rico,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I intend to run the EM36 on a Honda K20 in "parallel" with the stock ecu, with the EM36 controlling the engine and the stock ecu controlling the rest. Is it possible for me to "tapped" the required sensor input signals, via a harness, to the EM36 and use it control the injectors and ignition timing. I am not sure if the stock ecu will throw a CEL.

How about tapping the original A/F sensor signal to the EM36? Would it be possible?

Appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks!

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Our understanding was that the rest of car was fairly straight forward: Tacho, and coolant meter, which the EM36 could do.

Which vehicle model and year is it?

Do you have wiring diagram?

littlestevie
User

Post by littlestevie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi Rico,

I am running the 2008 JDM Honda Civic Type R (FD2R). I have the ECU wiring diagram. The typical inputs (Cam, crank, VTC, VTEC, etc) and outputs (Ign and Inj) are pretty straight forward, but I would like to keep the immobilizer, can bus and misc control functions of the stock ecu.

Any suggestions to run the "parallel" setup, having the best of both worlds?

Thanks!

RichA
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RichA » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:45 pm

If both crank and cam signals are logic level then JP1 and JP2 on EM36 should not be installed.
Coolant is more of an issue, since this can not be piggy backed with another stiff pull-up, so use a low electrical load input like second oxygen input for Coolant_Source.
Lambda sensor may work but OE ECU will have hissy fit.
What will happen with active throttle and pedal inputs?
Surely someone has decoded the CANbus, my guess is that engine ECU is not involved with immobilizer?
Usually engine ECU sends out Engine_Speed scaled with Speed_user_mul, coolant from a user function table, sometimes Engine_Load and Pedal for the ABS unit. On the input side often power steering and air conditioning requests, decoded with the User_switch_source.
I may be a control freak, but often complete substitution, as in our range of championship winning rally ECUs, will give you the freedom to obtain the required result.

RichA

littlestevie
User

Post by littlestevie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:00 am

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the advice.

The DBW will be control by the EM36, along with the engine, alternator, etc. Unfortunately, the immobiliser is integrated with the ECU, along with all OBD functions.

I will do some developmental work on the Can Bus and see how best I can making a true standalone.

Thanks!