ALS and modifications needed

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

RainR
User
ALS and modifications needed

Post by RainR » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello,

Gems v2.28 on Mitsu Lancer Evo 5. If ALS will be mapped, is there a need to make modifications for the gas valve for ALS to work properly? Under what PIN the ALS switch should be?

Best regards,
Rain

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: ALS and modifications needed

Post by RickS » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 am

Dear Rain

The ALS switch should be wired to pin D16. By the Gas valve i presume you mean the EGR valve? there are no modifications needed to make the ALS operate the EGR valve but you do need to set the options EGRO PBW OFF to OFF and EGRO PBW ON to ON.

Hope this helps
Ed

RainR
User

Post by RainR » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Not the EGR, that should be exhaust gas valve between the exhaust manifold and intake pipes.

I mean, the gas valve, which is between the intake pipe and intake manifold, operated by gas pedal. Throttle plate is the correct term for that?
Read somewhere that "throttle kicker" is used, which should let that valve open under ALS?

BR,
Rain

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:02 am

Dear Rainr

Ok yes, the throttle can be kicked if needed. You do not need a throttle kicker with the GEMS system though. all you need to do is jack the throttle open enough to build your boost and then control the Idle with the Idle spark table. I know some people unplug the idle motor as it just complicates things and just use the idle spark table to control the idle.

Or if you leave the idle motor connected you could increase the amount of air entering the engine to build boost on anti Lag then open the idle motor more when ALS is activated.

If you still want to use a throttle kicker then we use the EGR valve drive to activate it. So you would cut the wire controling the EGR valve and attach it to the solinoid valve which controls the kicker. Then activate the options EGRO PBW OFF to OFF and EGRO PBW ON to ON.

Which would you like to do? I'll talk you through it if you like?

Thanks
Ed