Knock Questions Evo 2.28

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

Evo TME
New User
Knock Questions Evo 2.28

Post by Evo TME » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:06 am

Hi,

I am new to this site, and I want to say it´s a relief to find reliable information to guide me in tuning my evo with the GEMS ECU, because where I´m from, this ECU is very rare, so I have no parameters to compare or to learn much, so what best but to talk with the people who make these!

I wanted to ask about the knock measuring options.

First, I´m running an engine without balance shafts ( which I think makes the engine noise louder for the knock sensor right) but with a fluid damper.
I don´t know what other mod´s affect the reading of the stock sensor, let me know please.

My question is, does this engine configuration affect the knock reading in my Gems ECU, and if so, how should I read the knock raw, knock raw pk etc...? Which values are acceptable to read in the knock noise table?

I have another problem, a big one, because I´ve made all my measurements without datalogging, because I have no datalogger, I bought the car used and it came like this. I know it´s a must for fine tuning so I´m planning to get one.

Which one sould I get? I currently tune the car with a serial port and dongle connected directly to LPT1 entry.

Thank you very much!

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Re: Knock Questions Evo 2.28

Post by RickS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi,

Thankyou that is why we created the forum.
I shouldn't thinking you fluid damper will make too much difference to noise. The fact is lots of modifications make a difference to the vibrations and noise in the engine but fortunatly Knock happens in a range of frequencies much above the running frequency of most engines.

Unfortunatly i can't really tell you what settings to put in the knock noise table and the Knock options as this is completly unique to each car. Which ECU are you running? I would Guess it's a Lancer 6 ECU from the 2.28 version. The best way to setup Knock is indeed with logging but this depends on the version you have. If you have internal logging on your ECU it is best to use that but if not you will have to use the GWv4 software P.C. Logging.

Log both Knk Raw and Knk PK at the fastest rates possible (once you've added them to the logging tab right click on them and select Update rate and select fastest) only do this for these two parameters. Then log whatever you use for Load and RPM. Now retard the Ignition map to a setting you know is safe. Now you can go for a steady drive trying to reach all points on the map whilst logging of course.

Once you've finished stop log and review the data. Read off the Knock PK value at different RPM's add about 20% to it and put that value in the Knock Noise table.

Remember stones flicking off the Sump gaurd can cause noise similar to knock so you should not run Knock control on gravel events. Run a safe map instead.

Hope this helps
Ed

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi,

With reagards to your Logger it depends what ECU you have as to which is the best one for you. If it's the Lancer 6 then i believe there is a fixed serial stream so you will need a logger with lots of analogue inputs. The DA99-2 is perfect for you.

Hope this helps
Ed

Evo TME
New User

Post by Evo TME » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:42 am

I'll check the logging features as soon as i install the V4 sotfware.
By the way, i have two more questions, what about the Launch control feature? I read the ECU manual and it says to pull low (ground) pin Nº B3 and i'll get new tables for a launch control feature. I did it and no tables popped up.
And the second question, what do i need (hardware and software) to remove the MAF sensor and install a 3Bar Map sensor????

Thanks a lot for your support guys.

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 am

Hi,

I believe the manual you have says 'if it works fine then seven seperate launch tables will be provided' this is a reference to future versions of the software and what the designer planned to do at that point. I'll remove it as it is irrelavent information now. So it's just the 8000rpm fuel and ignition lines in the maps which are used for launch.

To remove the MAF sensor and instal a map sensor you just need the map sensor. but you need to mount it on the plenum side of the throttle plate and not the air filter side. All you need to do in the software is change the Option AIR FLOW to OFF and the option MAP to ON.

Hope this helps
Ed

Russ
New User

Post by Russ » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:04 am

EdH wrote:So it's just the 8000rpm fuel and ignition lines in the maps which are used for launch.
Hope this helps
Ed
Sorry to dig this old one up, but what exactly do you mean by this?
Trying to set launch up on a lancer 2.41

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Russ,

See this http://gems.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=409

Just posted it for you and anyone who needs the same info.

Thanks
Ed