PC - ECU comms problem

Post here if you have an issue with a GEMS Product

Moderators:R!C0, JonMan, RickS

kiwi
User
PC - ECU comms problem

Post by kiwi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:47 am

i am trying to connect to a MDLS v1.16 using a USB serial connector. All I am getting is "ECU offline".
I am getting signal level voltage on the harness conector and at the serial connector. THe port allocation is OK.
Any suggestions???

Kiwi

RickS
GEMS Engineer
GEMS Engineer

Post by RickS » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi

Ensure The Baud rate is set to 9600.

To change go to ECU...Baud rate.

Also ensure you have a good ground.

Regards

kiwi
User

PC-ECU Comms problem

Post by kiwi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Phil
I can confirm the Baud rate is set to 9600
(software uses Auto mode for scanning ECU)
Ground is OK

I have tried both 'wake up' and 'connect' modes but still the same result.
The test box says 'ECU offline' and a red flashing box at the bottom left of the screen says 'ECU Offline'.

kiwi
User

Post by kiwi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:43 am

Unfortunately I am still trying to resolve this comms problem, I have even gone and looked for laptops which still have serial connectors...apparently they don't exist anymore!!..so that was no good.

So, having re-re-checked the ground (<0.2 Ohm) and the Baud rate (9600) several times I am still unable to communicate with the ECU.

I really would appreciate some help on this. I just spent more on Gems software than it costs for an entire Microsoft Office suite and I would really like to get it operational!

If there is a PM address for this, I would be happy to take it offline.

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi,

Sorry your still having problems. I have passed your email add to one of our engineers so we can go through this in detail with with you.

Regards

Rico

kiwi
User

Post by kiwi » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Rico
thanks for following up. As I am located in California I can either call after 4:00 your time or do it by email. I really wouuld like to get this sorted out!

Private mail would be fine if you want to take it offline

Regards

Ian

kiwi
User

Post by kiwi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:09 am

Well, still waiting for GEMS to give some sort of contact or advice on this issue. Now missing trackdays and getting disillusioned with the whole thing.

I really would appreciate some support for the expensive software I have bought, other than promises.

Is there anybody out there who have experienced this problem...the computer software can not communicate with the ECU and just keeps putting up the notice - ECU Offline ???

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:38 am

I have had two of our engineers email you and have had no reponse.
We have your telephone number on record, i will get someone to call you after 9am today your time.

Rico

kiwi
User

Post by kiwi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Rico
didn't see any emails, I have received them before from GEMS but I have to assume my spamfilter has probably intercepted them. I will wait for you call though

kiwi
User

Post by kiwi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:59 pm

:D had a call today, really helpful. Should have all the information I need to diagnose the problem now.

Thanks

kiwi

kiwi
User

Post by kiwi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:18 am

This post is to provide feedback and to close this thread.
After receiving very detailed information from Richard, I found two problems:
(i) there were crossed conductors in the comms cable (ECU TX and RX crossed) and
(ii) There are wide variations in USB-Serial convertors. I tried 4 before finding one that allowed communication to take place. On the ones that didn't work, when connected, a voltage appeared on the comms cable, on pin 3 of the serial connector, of -6.5Vdc, this should beat +5Vdc. I believe this to be a result of the USB adaptor circuit.
anyway, all is now working properly with the software side of things!

Thanks

kiwi

R!C0
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by R!C0 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:21 am

Glad you got it working.

Some extra info: we have only found 1 usb to serial converter that works reliably, made by Aten, and even that one is not the best. All the rest are hopeless! As a result we are currently developing our own cable to go straight from ECU to usb.

Regards

Rico